Limpopo Safari & Culture Tour (5 Days)
Duration: 5 Days – Starts in Phalaborwa
Rates: On request
Day 1 – Mtomeni
Afternoon Game Drive
The guide will meet you in Phalaborwa (airport or other accommodation) and transfer group to the unfenced Mtomeni Tented Camp in Letaba ranch. An afternoon drive will offer your first chance to see the wildlife of the area. Dinner is around the campfire and you’ll sleep in safari tents with en-suite, flush ablutions.
Day 2 – Mtomeni Tented Camp
Morning & Evening Game Drive
Depart at first light on a game drive in an open safari vehicle. Stop at strategic points for short walks to see additional details. Return to camp for a late brunch. Rest in camp during the heat of the day and depart mid-afternoon for an evening game drive, returning to the camp at sunset. Dinner is served around the campfire.
Day 3 – Baleni
Baleni Salt Harvesting
Depart Mtomeni after a leisurely breakfast and head north towards Giyani. Visit a craft-co-operative and take a guided walk through downtown Giyani to experience the vibrancy of urban living. Arrive at Baleni early afternoon and join the guides as you visit the Geo-thermal hot-spring & meet the salt harvesters. Dinner will be served back in camp and will consist of a range of local, traditional food. You will sleep in Tsonga-style rondavels with en-suite ablutions.
Day 4 – Modjadi
Baleni to Modjadi
Depart Baleni after an early breakfast and travel to Duiwelskloof, and the Modjadji Cycad Reserve. At the entrance to the ‘Garden of the Rain Queen’ you will have a chance to see the traditional home of the Modjadji’s Rain Queen, and get an insight into their traditions. The guide will then take you on a hike through the famous cycad reserve, ending in the Modjadji Camp. Check in for the last evening and enjoy the storytelling and convivial atmosphere around the camp fire.
Day 5 – Phalaborwa
Modjadji to Phalaborwa
Depart Modjadji after breakfast and return to Phalaborwa airport.
Inclusions & Exclusions
Accommodation & Food
- All transport in 10-seater MPV with aircon, with driver
- Accommodation in safari tents or rondavels with en-suite and basic solar lights. Linen provided.
- Meals provided cooked in local style
- Community-specialized guides at both the camps and en-route between camps
- Game drives, walks and visit to salt harvesters included
- Meals not specified
- Personal purchases & gratuities
- Big 5 reserve wildlife experience
- Personal, authentic interaction with locals & their traditions and guided by local experts
- Small, rustic camps with hyper-personal interactions
- Community-owned properties with commercial management standards
- Rustic accommodation with excellent sustainability standards