High in the northern Drakensberg is Mafefe’s 4×4 Trails Camp. Accessible only by 4×4, slow, patient driving rewards the driver for the slow trip with magnificent scenery and an unparalleled environment for hiking, mountain biking and enjoying the great outdoors.
Accessible only with high ground clearance, low range 4x4s, Mafefe 4×4 Trails Camp provides prefect overnight accommodation for 4×4 expeditions. For those who love hiking and mountain biking, it is a perfect spot from which to base day-trips in the surrounding mountains.
Mafefe Cultural Camp has 5 stand-alone thatched rondavels, each with two ¾ beds, chairs and a bedside stand. Ablutions are communal, with flush toilets, shower and basins.
The kitchen, dining and camp-fire facilities are communal, and give adventure travelers an ideal opportunity to get to meet and interact with other like-minded travelers. You will share a gas hob and camp fire for cooking, as well as fridge and freezer for storage of food. The necessary pots, crockery & cutlery are also supplied.
There is no electricity, and paraffin or solar lanterns are provided for light at night. If self-catering, don’t forget to bring firewood.
Valid from 1st April 2017 to 31st March 2018
– Rack rate: R620 per person, per night sharing
Inclusions & Exclusions
Self-catering Inclusions: Accommodation, self-catering facilities with gas cooker, fridge & freezer, cooking utensils, crockery & cutlery; a few LED solar lights in rooms and USB-solar charging facilities. Self-catering Exclusions: Meals, Activities (no self-drive permitted from Manyeleti or Letaba Ranch Camps), gratuities.
Linen: Linen, including towels, is currently available and included in the rates at all the camps.
Please note: optional meals or activities must be pre-ordered & paid when booking accommodation. We do not carry any stock of alcohol, soft drinks or bottled water in the camps, and guests are advised to bring their own. Should this not be suitable for your clients, please advise us at the time of booking and we will quote for your specific requirements.
Single Supplement: 30%
Children under 12: 50% of the adult rate
Capacity: 10 beds / 5 units
Directions from Polokwane
Take the R37 south from Polokwane (towards Lydenberg)
1. Turn-off from R 37 – S24.25972 E29.79325
2. Turn right onto gravel – S24.18019 E30.09841
3. Mafefe village – S24.20263 E30.11073
4. Turn left – S24.26205 E30.15335
5. Turn right – S24.26495 E30.15652
6. Turn right – S24.27932 E30.22207
7. Left up hill (select low range 4×4) – S24.27857 E30.22428
8. En-route waypoint – S24.22204 E30.28890
9. Keep right – S24.22442 E30.29723
10. 1254m – S24.22580 E30.29931
11. Pioneers house – S24.23145 E30.29472
12. Turn left – S24.23452 E30.29889
13. Mafefe camp – S24.22397 E30.31617